The Blue Penny Museum is one of the prime elements of the Mauritian cultural scene. It displays a precious heritage collection about Mauritius and the region. A real voyage in space and time, this history and art museum will take you on the steps of the explorers and the successive occupation of the island, at the cross-road of civilizations from Europe, Africa and Asia. The museum prides itself on the two issues of the famous ‘Post Office’ stamp dating back to 1847 and considered as two of the most precious items of worldwide philately. Although dedicated to the world-famous Mauritian one-penny and two-pence stamps of 1847, the Blue Penny Museum is far more wide-ranging than its name suggests, taking in the history of the island's exploration, settlement and colonial period, and even detouring into the Paul and Virginie legend. For the duration of the visit you should time between 30 and 90 minutes. The collection is attractively presented through modern staging techniques, including sounds and light special effects as well as multimedia screens.
Frederik Hendrik Museum:
The Frederik Hendrik Museum opened its doors in May 1999 and is named after the stadtholder of the United Provinces of The Netherlands who was in office from 1625 to 1647. The serene and isolated Vieux Grand Port in the Southeast Coast of Mauritius is considered as the cradle of Mauritian History. The Frederik Henrik Museum is a historical site which today bears the remnants of the first human settlement in Mauritius. . The Frederik Hendrik Museum has one permanent display room in which panels and artefacts are exhibited. A “maquette "of the site, found in the Reception room, helps in the orientation of visitors. The permanent exhibition is located in the Main Hall. They consist of building materials: stones, bricks, nails; military objects like musket balls, canon balls, flint stones; everyday life artefacts and implements- sickle, hoe, beads, coins, clay pipes, ceramics and potteries, cooking utensils; and food remains- bones of fish, cattle, deer, pigs, dugong, tortoise, shells etc. The panels depict the activities of the Dutch in Mauritius and Indian Ocean, 17th century maps, and pictures of Maurits Van Nassau and Frederik Hendrik, stathoulders of the Netherlands. A reduced model of a Dutch East Indiaman is on show.
Mauritius Photography Museum:
Situated in a backstreet in the centre of Port Louis almost facing the old theatre, a little sign shows the way to a collection of inestimable value: the only Photography Museum in Mauritius and the surrounding islands. This private collection can be found next to a little romantic garden in a historical, shuttered cottage. When entering, the little bell at the door rings and lets Madame Marie Noelle Bréville come out of the archives to extend a warm and personal welcome to every visitor. From an early age, the established photographer Tristan Bréville has been fascinated by photography. Together with his wife Marie Noelle he has been doing research all over the world and has been purchasing those little pieces of Mauritian history to save them from oblivion. Their collection consists of more than 1 Million negatives, more than 5000 glass negatives, 30 danguerrotypes, 9000 postcards and more than 1000 cameras. But the most important thing is meeting a family who has spared no effort to preserve the memory of their country.
National History Museum, Port-Louis:
It is located on the ground floor of the Mauritius Institute which was established by Governor Sir George Ferguson Bowen and built around 1880. The oldest museum of Mauritius is divided into four galleries: - Fauna Gallery, Marine Life Gallery, Insects, Meteorology, Giant Tortoise Gallery and The World of the Dodo. A visit to a museum is a search for beauty, truth and meaning in our lives. When you are around in the City of Port Louis, you cannot miss the Mauritius Natural History Museum.
National History Museum, Mahebourg:
A visit to the National History Museum of Mauritius is like travelling back the memory lane of The National History Museum is situated at Mahebourg, in a fine park extending to about 12 acres, on the bank of River La Chaux. The National History Museum finds its origin in the Naval Relics Museum and the Museum of Historical Souvenirs. The Naval Relics Museum was set up by the Mauritius Railways in 1934 and was located on the ground floor of the Secretariat Building in Port Louis. In 1941, it came under the purview of the Mauritius Institute. The museum exhibited the Mauritius’ colonial history.objects (canons, mortars, part of hulk, bottles) retrieved from the shipwreck La Magicienne in 1933 and 1934 by H.C.M. Austen, engineer at the Mauritius Railways. The Museum of Historical Souvenirs was created by Lady Clifford, wife of Governor Clifford. It was opened in March 1938 and housed in two rooms, on the second floor of the Government House. The collection comprised furniture and ceramics belonging to the East India Company and artefacts donated or loaned to the museum.
Robert Edward Hart Memorial Museum:
The Robert Edward Hart Memorial Museum is located in the newly renovated coral bungalow by the seashore at Souillac. It is at this place that the Mauritian poet spent the last years of his life. Robert Edward Hart moved to Souillac when he retired in 1941. When his first house was destroyed in a cyclone, his friends contributed to erect a bungalow in coral stones (also known as La Nef). After the death of Robert Edward Hart in 1954, the premises were purchased by the Government in 1963, to set up a museum to perpetuate the memory of the great poet. The building was repaired and the museum was opened to the public on 6 November 1967. The museum was renovated completely and reopened on 17 August 2003 on the occasion of the birth anniversary of Robert Edward Hart. On display are copies and originals of Hart’s letters, plays, speeches and poetry, as well as his spectacles, pith helmet and fiddle. One speech, on love and marriage, was delivered at the Curepipe Hotel in November 1914, for the benefit of English and French war victims. The museum is open from 9am to 4pm everyday except Sunday. Entry is free.
Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Memorial Centre for Culture:
The Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Memorial Centre for Culture is situated at 87, Desforges Street, Plaine Verte, discretely nested inside the very heart of the commercial centre in Port Louis. The Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Memorial Centre for Culture is set up in the old wooden house, where Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam spent thirty years of his life, from 1935 to 1965. The house was acquired by the Government of Mauritius in 1986. It is dedicated to the memory of Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam, the architect of the independence of Mauritius and Father of the Nation. Rich in history and symbolism, this popular Mauritian dwelling, over 150 years old, is an icon of our architectural and historical heritage. The Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Memorial Centre for Culture was decreed a National Monument on 8 September 1986 and is presently listed as a National Heritage.
Mauritius Postal Museum:
A trip to the past...
Located in one of the oldest historical building on the Port-Louis Waterfront the building construction started in 1865 and was inaugurated in 1868.Presently, the postal museum building symbolizes the efforts undertake to improve communications both locally and internationally. The museum is separated into 4 rooms with different displays. There is also a philatelic gallery and a temporary exhibition area. Mauritius was in fact the fifth country in the world, after Great Britain, Brazil, Switzerland and North America, to introduce stamps; thus making us the 2nd country of the southern hemisphere and the 1st English colony in September 1847. They were the famous blue and red penny stamps with the face of Queen Victoria, amongst the rarest in the world. 2 of them can be found at the Blue Penny museum of the Caudan Waterfront. The rarity of these stamps coming from the fact that it was wrongly printed with the lettering ‘post office’ when in fact it should have been ‘post paid’.Room number three also contains quite a lot of equipment: old letter boxes, automatic stamp machines, old scales, etc. Upstairs in the final display room, there is some more information and anecdotes about contemporary postal services, as well as a little visual of a postman and his bicycle. This uniform looks similar to the one worn today by postmen around the island. Depending on how much you want to read all information and take time watching all the different equipments it will probably take about half an hour to forty five minutes to visit it all. The Mauritius Postal Museum invites you to discover the major events that marked the history of the postal services in Mauritius from its origin till nowadays.
Sign up to our newsletter to receive directly on your email our news & latest offers:
Success!Congratulation, you successfully subscribe